Ambassador Liu
  Video & Audio
  Former Ambassadors
China-UK Relations
  Political Exchanges
  Economy & Trade
  Science & Tech
  People to People
  Local Exchanges
Embassy Information
  Embassy Events
  Tour the Embassy
  Office Hours and Address
  Economic and Commercial Counsellor’s Office
  Education Section
Consulate-General in the UK

Chinese Embassy in UK WeChat

Chinese Embassy in UK
Home > Consular Service > Legalization
3. Documents needed for the application of legalization


If the documents issued in the UK are to be used in China, they need to be legalized. You may apply in person or entrust someone else to apply for legalization at the Chinese Embassy. Documents you need to prepare for the legalization include:

1). A completed Application Form of Consular Legalization

2). The original and a photocopy of the Apostille issued by FCO or a department authorised by FCO;

3). Documents containing two or more pages must be tied together by silk ribbons and sealed properly by the notary office. The Embassy and Consulates will not legalize a document if it fails to meet the format standards or is found forged, counterfeited or altered;

4). If there is any blank page in your documents (including covers), please mark this page with letters such as "This page has no contents.";

5). Your valid passport and a photocopy of your passport;

6). If you have entrusted someone else to apply for legalization on your behalf, the entrustee must provide his or her valid passport and a photocopy of the passport, as well as a photocopy of your passport; In addition, if the entrustee is a company or an organization, the company or the organization is also required to provide a letter of   authorization to the person who hands in the application at the consular office;

7). Business license legalization requires a photocopy of the passport of the company's legal representative and a document which proves his or her legal status as the company's legal representative.

Some particulars for attention: 

1. The Chinese embassy and consulates are only responsible for the authenticity of the signatures of the officials of FCO or the authorised departments. The issuing party should be responsible for the content of the documents. 

2. Currently, the Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalisation for Foreign Public Documents only applies to the Chinese Hong Kong and Macao regions. Documents issued in Britain can be used without legalizations in Hong Kong and Macao after issue of "Attached Certificate" to them. 

3. Documents issued in British overseas territory Isle of Man, Bailiwicks of Jersey, Bailiwicks of Guernsey, and Cayman Islands may be submitted to the Chinese embassy or consulates for legalizations after being legalized by a local officer of a department authorised by FCO. Documents issued in other territories such as Virgin Islands will have to be legalized at the legalization office of FCO first before being submitted to the Chinese embassy or one of the Chinese consulates. 

4. In the case that the entrustee is, unwilling to open the envelope containing the document for legalization and not being able to answer relevant questions, or not being able to provide relevant documents, the Chinese embassy or consulate reserves the right to decline the application and does not take responsibilities for the delay of processing the application if the required document is not provided in time. 

5. The Chinese embassy or consulate only issues a ticket for collecting the documents for legalization and does not sign on any receipts after having received the application documents. 

All rights of explanation of the above contents are reserved to the Chinese embassy and consulates.

Suggest to a Friend
Embassy of the People's Republic of China in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland All Rights Reserved